I didnt take much pictures bc the kids are crazy about camera and checking themselves out in the play back mode. One of the medical students temporary lost her camera to kids that took a bunch of pictures. Surprisingly they were quite interesting. I've got to remember to ask her for the picture and post it here for you to see. Please bare with me on these picture less posts until July 14 :)
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Hands on Your Head!
Tues June 18th, we were assign to "play with the kids" in Kathorka primary school in the afternoon after visiting Meru U. But there was quite a strong language barrier that I found myself lost for words to communicate my English words to these kids in 1st/2nd grade. I really enjoyed teaching and making them reiterate what they learned like counting, colors, and body parts. But these kids will do anything to get your attention and grab the little foam stickers we brought along for them. I somehow got a whole tub (3/4 empty) to distribute to the kids. FYI this is during thei recess so there are like at least 80-90 students out there and I got totally surrounded by 30 of them when I got the tub. You have to do you best to imagine these kids right up to you with their hands reaching out to you. Your personal bubble concept does not exist for these kids. I had to hold my plastic tub high above my head to avoid greedy hands. As I did that I tried to control them by doing a mini-Simon says game of body parts. These kids are smart but lack some self control. I SHHH-ed them and said "put both hands on your head " (attempt to remove the hands in my face) but once I reached into the clear plastic bucket, they reached out again and start demanding me. I reversed and said "nope! Hands on head!! Hands on head! Then if it doesn't work I went through the facial parts of eyes, nose, mouth, ear etc. when I finally gave out the stickers, hands would scrabble and nearly grab hold my fingers. It was quite aggressive lol, like holding bait in the a hungry pond of jumping fishes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha I know what you mean with little kids running up to you. Its crazy but they're all soo cute I bet. So far, it seems like you're experiencing a little bit of everything that Kenya has to offer. That's great.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you like my collection of random thoughts. i have so more to share but the computer will not accept my SD card for the pictures :( it is really a beautiful country and I really like this rural area of where i'm staying. hopefully i can post some more very soon. it might just be text due to slow internet upload speed.
Delete