Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Lively, Musical Church Service

Sunday 6/23 was church service. I am not religious to begin with, thus I have a very limited exposure to the bible language and the main figures besides Jesus. I decided to attend to experience something different. I am in a different country, a different culture. I should take this opportunity to open my eyes, ears, mind... all my senses. So I dressed up and went with the rest to the Methodist Sunday service.

 above is a baby was getting baptized. it was hilarious how the baby's arm kept pushing the priest's hand away.


I am not going to describe the details of how church service goes because I do not know how to compare it. But there was a lot of singing, gospel singing. The choir was such a large part of church. Everyone would stand up and clap and sing along to this band. I recorded some of it, so hopefully I can upload it. Even though I did not understand what was being sung, I felt very emotional and very teary clapping along. I don't really know why. I don't tear-up that quickly in general. Perhaps I felt very amazed by their strong faith to God and church is a gathering time for them. They showed such a strong side to them despite hardship they go really moves me to feel their cause. I enjoyed a lot of the service bc it was like talking about life lessons with a strong emphasis on God as the ultimate role model. That days lesson was about giving and saying thank you. I know I have trouble with returning a thank you, especially  C. compliments. But I was glad I learned alittle more about the religious culture here. To be honest, Kenyans pray A LOT. After while, I started bowing my head down and simply said "Jambo God" mentally just to be in the spirit. I should add "Mohammad, Buddha, and you holy spirits out there". 

Oh! Some Swahili I learned thus far:
Jambo = Hello
Asante (?) = Thank you
Karibu = You're welcome or Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment