The kids from the Amani Center would also help the STS students. There is a strike going on these past two weeks from the teacher union. Hence the kids did not have to go to school for the time being.
Below are the pictures of our Michigan crew doing at it. You can see the hut is nearly finished at this time. It was quite sunny that day so we burned quite a bit. Plus our hands did not receive a very good treatment that day either, especially the two guys. My back ached a lot afterward from constantly keep it bent over the pile of dirt. We had mini shovels, unlike the one at home. This was quite an interesting experience that I enjoyed a lot despite the damages on my body. I also started developing a cold the previous day so my eyes were constantly watery and my nose were runny and congested. It does not sound like a pleasant experience, but seeing what the Kenyans can do, I thought to myself these are all minor setbacks I am facing. Even though we may not be the best trained, I feel I can do equally as much as our fellow Kenyans can or at least keep my energy up to keep the process moving. Lucky, we are relatively large enough to rotate our turn with the shoveling or lifting buckets to the top or filling the sand bags.
When lunch time came at 1pm, we were so happy to walk back because we were indeed quite hungry by that time. I have to give credit to the STS students on how much effort and strength they put in to continuously work on the same task over and over.
Above you can see a hand-powered drill and hand saw (for cutting metal). If they had electrical tools, how much faster would the construction been? Some much we take for grant back at home as simple as power tools. I constantly feel like I am traveling back in history, when civilization first started developing. We have come so far and the other day, it was our nation's 237th bday. We are clearly have the upper hand but that due to our massive history record. We have grown through rough patches of history as well. I do not feel extreme pity or sadness for what I see in Kenya, but rather excitement for a growing country that will make leaps and bounds to catch up to America and perhaps even surpass us.
No comments:
Post a Comment