This time, instead of going with just my faculty, we have coordinated with the head chairman of KEMU heath/science department to show us on rounds in the private hospital (I have previously mentioned in an earlier post). I am obviously not in the pictures because I am the camera person (duh). But nonetheless, these are my medical students I stayed with. I rounded in the medical ward, aka internal medicine. I saw diabetic patients and immunosuppressed patient . The attending also showed us what happens to a patient after a mild heart attack (when the patient walks, you will see their weight shifted to more heavily to their left side due to the mild sign of paralysis. remember the heart is on your left side). This private was very nice with individual mosquito nets for patients and gowns.
We even had the opportunity to observe a C-section in the maternal ward. So we gowned up and literally was in the same operation room as the mother and the surgeons. I thought I would be behind glass to see this operation, but was I wrong. There was limited ventilation in the room, just two open doors. It was the typical operation room with the huge head lamp over the patient bed and nearly all surfaces of the mother was covered up with the green cloth. We stood right in front of the patient (if she were to sit right up, she would be facing directly in front of us). I positioned myself closer to the door because there was a reason why I am in pharmacy school over medical.
We were warned from the ours that saw the first delivery it does get a bit violent and advised not to stand in the 'front row'. We were to see the second C-section. For some odd reason, I thought I would see a greater burst of blood or something that would fit the expectation of 'violent'. Lucky for you, I am a horrible describer so you will not feel the shock I felt at the moment standing there. But let me do my best ;)
But whoa. just whoa. All this took about 30 minutes. Apparently this isn't any major surgery. The residents need to perform so many before they can specialize in this field. Could you believe that? The surgeon was not specifically specialized in doing C-sections. She needed to perform X-amount before applying for further specialty. Different.
No comments:
Post a Comment